Aug 21, 2006

New! Driver Stereotype

Yesterday, I took a rick home (don't ask). Passing through the Bandra stretch of Linking Road, I spotted a Honda City EXi with three occupants. Average age: 22, I think. Two were on the cellphones and the driver, appeared to be mouthing into his hands-free kit. Hopefully, they weren't on a conference call to each other. More to the point, this much data was enough for me to lean forward and tell the auto chap to not overtake the car, to drop back and not go anywhere near that car.

Later, I wondered why that was? We all create and maintain a database of stereotypes (you know, tailgater, lane-swapper, lady, slowpoke etc). This was a completely new one. I call it Rich Dad's Worthless Little Son (RDWLS). I know it sounds like I'm gunning all out for all affluent young kids, but there are some really nice kids out there too. This for the rest of that bunch.
RDWLSs drive fast and careless. They swap lanes when it's convenient to them, they give no hoots about crossing paths with much larger vehicles. Their speed and recklessness means safe and faster motorcycle riders can't really escape them in traffic altogether, and they wayward driving is a huge, huge hazard to anyone within twenty feet.

Here's how to spot 'em. Look at the space between the roof lining and the top of the suspected RDWLS' head. If you see an untidy bush where a neat haircut should be, you have probable cause. They invariably seem to gel their hair to look like mine when I get out of bed. It's a good reliable indication. Fancy cellphones, chatting with the mates, hip-hop music audible a half-kilometre away and a bass thump that compresses the rear springs visibly are other signs you could spot. There is no known cure except for pulling over and letting some time and distance slip in between yourself and them.

Sometimes, RDWLS' will come in packs of two cars or more. This can turn into a race in the blink of a indicator. So watch out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about "RDWLS" on bikes..??
:-)

Anonymous said...

A few suggestions....


I think "Comment Moderation" kills the conversation nature of blogs... I personally prefer a blog which welcomes my comments, whatever it may be....

Also the actual name on your profile give the blog more authenticity...


Thanks

Unknown said...

sure, comment moderation is a pain, but then, without the "latest comments" sidebar on blogger, i probably wouldn't know who commented, and besides, when the comment gets approved, you know that the blogger has read your comment :-)

as for the lack of name, it adds to the mystery as in, the blogger could be any one of us!

rearset said...

Dear Satadel Payeng,
I was wondering if I should reply to you, but since nyctophobia has, I will too. I think of my blog as my home. As the digital equivalent of my brick/mortar home. And the comments board is like a softboard put up outside for people to leave their thoughts. Given that it is my home, I think I don't ask too much by allowing myself the liberty of deciding what is put up on that board. I think it's a reasonable right to keep to myself.

Besides, so far, I haven't needed to reject any comments. But lord knows that day will come too, right?

rearset said...

As far as the lack of identity goes and its effect on the authenticity of the posts and of the blog. I think you're fre e to draw your own conclusions. If you (and whoever else) doesn't believe what I write, you're free to never come back. Or post up a 'this guy (I don't know who he is) is a cheat and a liar' at your blog, right. I promise I won't even leave a comment when I spot that post. I don't want my real government-certified name to appear on the blog for a number of reasons. The one I can reveal is that I'm tired of proving who I am wherever I go, from buying tickets, entering airports. Of having certificates to prove that the wife is legally the wife etc. This here is a space where I am just me. Where is the need to have a name.

Besides, if I put up a picture of an obscure celebrity and said the blog belonged to John Smith or Jane Doe, would it add more authenticity to it? Say yes, and you'll have a photo and a well thoughtout name on the morrow. I'm thinking Thakur Balwant Rajadhar Shingurprateek Maheshwari. What say?

rearset said...

Freaks, that's is quite a name. Far better than rearset, even