Jul 5, 2006

Corporate Con: Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi; The Reply

Image courtesy bajajauto.comHad a chat with a senior marketing person from Bajaj. Roundly criticised the Fear The Black advertisement. And in reply, I ended up with a most interesting perspective on how advertisements work.

I was told, ‘I really don’t care how aesthetically great, or otherwise, you thought the advertisement was. You object to the street bike jumping, crossing dams and all of that. Other people have told me the star of the ad was the pair of sunglasses. Still others have called it a failure…’

‘But, we didn’t make the ad to please aesthetes. We made the advertisement to get people to come to our showrooms. That has happened. From the 180 sales of roughly 1500 a month, right after the advert first aired, sales have been growing. We’re at almost 6000 units a month and growing. To me, that was not only a successful advertisement, it was one of the more successful ads we have made.’

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I had once heard somewhere, some smart dude like the bajaj boy, say that if I use intelligent content, how many will accept it? I rather cater to the mass market from where I can make volumes, than gain the approval of you select few.

Same situation here, the people who will appreciate a good bike ad are probably sensible if not well informed bikers. These kind of consumers will usually make the well informed buying decision.

Lets face it, this ad caters to all those loud mouth bikers who give biking a bad name! I just hope those dam security guys (pun intended) don't let them get crazy :-(

in the mean time, let's consign this ad to selective amnesia (hope i spelt that right, coz I keep forgetting the spelling).

Hitanshu said...

Bullshit.

What worked was the color. For once, the 180 had a personality of its own. It looked different. It was not just the bike with the different tyre, that gave 10kmpl less average - it was now the Black!

Why else did the Avenger work - simply good pricing. Else, the engine was same as 180 and heck, it was beaten on almost all counts except comfort by the p180, yet it beat p180 till the black came out! And no, it wasnt the ad - indian consumers don't buy ads - they buy value for money :)

Aakash said...

I agree wid Hitanshu I bought the New "Fear the Black Pulsar" not because of the AD but because the Bike is Some serious shit....earlier there was no distinction between the Pulsar Twins but as soon as the launched the Black Campaign on their Website....I went ahead and Bought the Bike because I was Waiting for a Change...and I got it ...Cheers :)

Unknown said...

ok, just saw the date stamp on ur comment :-)
hope you did not get caught anywhere.