May 3, 2006

Clutchless upshifts

MT-01 EngineSince we've dissected matching revs, and I managed to refer to clutchless upshifts, I might as well say how, right? Well, put your toe against the shift lever and hold it up (assuming your motorcycle shifts up for higher gears). It won't shift as long as you hold the revs steady or they rise. However, now roll off the throttle for a moment and you'll feel the shift happen. What happens is that the shift waits for a slot, which appears the moment the slowing revs lightens the load on the system. Roll back on, and you're done. Some motorcycles will require greater amounts of off-rev time, or a greater drop in revs for the shifts, but Bullets (and old Jawas etc) apart, most bikes respond happily to this. Do it right, and you'll never bother with the clutch on upshifts again, and you won't damage the motor either. Obviously, if you break the gearbox doing this, it isn't my fault.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog today and found it to be very interesting and read up on quite a few of your older blogs. The one about clutchless shifting I found quite interesting. One thing I would like to point out is this... it can be done in a Bullet too. Ask me, I know. Take care

rearset said...

I know you can clutchless shift Bullets. Here's the thing. I've ridden more than twenty different Bullets and found all of them 'not liking' those shifts. In the long term, I suspect I will end up with a smashed up gearbox. So, I'd just rather use a clutch on a Bullet.

--xh-- said...

just what doctor ordered :-) after reading all the three posts - clutchless upshifting, matching revs and howo use clutch and gears, i am happy and confident that i am doing the right thing. thnx a ton, rearset.