I could not help but use the words from that Tom Jones/Catatonia song to open this post. Blog reader JOSH's been out riding and it was lovely, although it didn't go to plan...
I just did a 1200 mile ride to Memphis and a few surrounding places over the weekend when the weather looked really promising. The minute I left Atlanta though, it took a turn, so here's...
...Ten reasons why 1200 miles should never be completed in three sub-10 degree days.
- A negative windchill factor makes the 'thrill' of the isolated twisting back roads being remembered as 'chill'
- It's not longer the red nosed reindeer, people now call me the bluenose idiot
- Blue fingers linger... long, long after that 3 hour soak in the hot tub
- If you talk to the guy on the K1200 at the gas station, he thinks you're gonna steal his heated jacket, his bike with heated grips and leave him with the crappy mesh jacket you're wearing
- Purple skies can be seen in summer too
- Cold weather makes you think hot chocolate isn't all that hot, until your mouth tells you so
- Moving in the saddle to relieve your numb backside has the wind reaching places it ought not to
- So what if Elvis lived in Memphis Tennessee, he's dead and a few more hours out there would have see me on my way to meet the king
- 700 motorcycles in a museum in Birmingham, halfway to Memphis doesn't make it any warmer
- It's impossible to wipe a leaky nose at 90mph with a really snug lid and gloves on