As you read this (1220 hours by my watch), Yamaha has just launched the R1 (and maybe the MT-01) in India. Here's what I've learnt. The 2008 R1 and the 2008 MT-01 are both on sale now. Price being quoted is Rs 10.5 lakh ex-showroom. At the moment, sales will be only in Delhi, Ahmedabad, Chennai and Bangalore. This is probably because of the size and kind of showroom that Yamaha wanted to have in place for these bikes. Mumbai bikers are going to have a spot of trouble, because it might be one of the last of the big cities to finalise the showroom thanks to excessive land costs. Yamaha is saying that people in Mumbai should consider booking the motorcycle from its Ahmedabad dealer, Planet Yamaha. Yamaha says that supply is no problem. So while motorcycles will arrive in CBU batches, there is no number cap so you should get an R1 if your book one.
The Bangalore dealer is Orion Motors (518 Bhovappa layout, Hosur Road), Delhi Scooters (A31 A Ring Road Rajouri Garden, 011 - 25411667). I don't know why the Chennai dealer is... sorry.
ADDED: More details are here
All images courtesy: Yamaha Motor Europe
- Yamaha R1 and MT-01: The official word
- 2008 Yamaha R1 and MT-01: Launched!
- Yamaha R1: It's been 10 years!
- Yamaha YZF-R1: Take one for a test ride
- Hammer and tongs, I think
- Suzuki: March 2008 again!
- Yamaha's new 150: What's the story?
- Yamaha India TV Ad: What's in it?
- Yamaha to launch R1 and MT-01 in India?
- The R is for?
- Rossi on the YZF-R1
- New Year Wishlist
- 2007 R1 Released: The juicy details
- 2007 R1 Released: A whole bunch of photos
- 2007 R1 Released: Official Specs
- 2007 R1: First pics are at MCN
- Launch prospects