Jan 18, 2007

Don-a-Darko: The Dark Visor Story

I just purchased a dark visor for my helmet. I have never worn once before and it was a big change. Since my choice in the degree of darkness was restricted, I was forced to purchase a really dark one. If I were a car manufacturer, I'd probably call it something appropriately flowery like midnight chocolate black or darkest hour black or don-a-darko or something like that. I just say black. Like pitch.

Well, it's great. The shop owner was kind enough to warn me that I wouldn't be a able to see a thing (this was at 20:00). And I told him not to worry, because I do intend to only and unfailingly use it during the day. It has actually changed the way I ride a bit. For one, I haven't worn a pair of sunglasses inside the lid since. Which is actually a big deal for two reasons. Even you bought the widest, most wrappedaround pair of shades you could find, you would still see the frame in peripheral vision. Which is like having a frame to your peripheral sight and a distra/obstruction. Second, I've now heard of a few cases where a fall and an impact on the helmet either shattered the spectacle lens or the frame with (fortunately) minor but potential grievous injury. Now I don't have to wear them. They also look a bit dorky, if you ask me (especially if you got a pair of foakleys or Oakleys with pearl white frames and blue mirror-tint lenses).

It also means I now have to carry around a transparent visor. Which, it turns, out is surprisingly easy. Just shove it into an old sock (airline socks work best) and tuck it into your jacket so it sits around you love handles. Works a treat. Of course, one smart aleck colleague who was reading this post over my shoulder pointed out that when I crash, the visor would be a potential injury, right? Uh oh. But then I thought back and remembered that while you are very likely to hit your head in a crash, the abdomen area just over the belt is one place where despite numerous crashes, I haven't even had an abrasion spot. Touch wood. Britain, however, has outlawed dark visors...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been using twin visor setup on my AM and INDEX lids. One of them is a mercury coated visor that comes with the helmet and another one a clear visor. I've set it up in such a way that the coated visor is on the outside so that I could keep it open at night. However, as you'd expect its creates a ruckus when flipped up!

Recently, I bought a Bobster Road Hog II goggles from www.extremeeyewear.com and am finding it very convenient for day and night rides. You might want to try it out. IMO, Unlike the Oakleys, these don't make you look dork-y :-p

http://www.extremeeyewear.com/store/road-hog-ii-goggle-p-75.html