Feb 19, 2007

Roger Waters: Concert Review

What a concert! I've been to a few events like this (Ian Anderson, Deep Purple and many smaller bands) and I've never even seen one that came close. I can't begin to describe just how good the Dark Side Of The Moon concert was. But I'm going to anyway, right?

Snapshots:

  • Israeli chick muscles into the front row using only the word 'Please' and pure willpower. Also drags two of here equally petite friends with her

  • Standing next to me, I put up with about twenty minutes of her before I leave the front row to go stand in the back of the Rs 3000 enclosure. For three reasons. 1. The front row is a busy, frenzied place to stand in. You can't hear much of the music, you can see all the action on the stage, a fascination that wears rather quick when you have rock mama screaming her aging lungs out in your left ear. It' also hot, sweaty, and apart from the emotional aspect, not unlike travelling in a Mumbai train or bus. 2. Israeli Chick shaved her upper arms about three days ago. Stubble is troubling me. 3. Rock Mama has taken to keeping her left arm on my right shoulder. She uses it to boost here up when she wants to scream, 'I LOVE YOU ROGER' in my ear at three minute intervals. She's also leading Roger Waters on the lyrics by about three stanzas. I gotta get out

  • The back of the 3000 is an empty place. I could lie down here if I wanted to. And the sound is just awesome. It's loud, clear, articulate and perfect. The band plays from 1930 to 2145. They never miss a beat, a tone, a chord. It's perfect. Brilliant

  • The selection played is awesome too. The crowd sings along the entire time. The further front you are, the harder it is to make you what's coming from the stage and what's coming from the crowd

  • I checked out the concert tour review at brain-damage. They play to a plan. And frankly, I have no problem with that. The show is in three parts. SPOILER WARNING the song list is (please highlight with your mouse to see the list). First half: In The Flesh, Mother, Set The Controls For the Heart Of The Sun, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Have A Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Southampton Dock, The Fletcher Memorial Home, Perfect Sense parts 1 and 2, Leaving Beirut, Sheep. Second half: Dark Side of the Moon. Encore: Another Brick In The Wall (Pt 2), Vera, Bring the Boys back Home, Comfortably Numb.

  • The graphics in the background, the present and achingly correct background trio of lovely ladies, the pyrotechnics (more than a few firebomb explosions, and couple of instances of burning flames on stage). It all just works. The Dark Side Of The Moon Tour is a visual and audio extravaganza. I loved it. I'd go back for more in an instant.

  • The band finishes playing their second set and go off stage. A fifteen year old girl and her friend are crying into each others arms wondering how could a 'Pink Floyd' concert be complete without Another Brick... and Comfortably Numb...

  • The audience is so loud that after a point, Waters' vocalist gives and lets us sing Another Brick...

  • A 65+ year old gent carefully places his glass of Pepsi on the uneven floor to dance gently to Comfortably Numb

  • I get the goose bumps, literally, as the twin guitar solos power up. I also get them again during the C'Numb riffs. I realise why I'm so in love in Pink Floyd's music. And realise that sometimes Electric Guitars can sound more powerful than threats and gunshots

  • The loos were surprisingly clean

  • If you have a chance to go, go. Even if you don't know who Pink Floyd is. And think Eminem is the god of music.

  • I've been to a 'Pink Floyd' concert. In Mumbai! Wow! It's all downhill from here...
Tips
  • If the audience knows the songs really well, and won't be quiet, don't bother trying to get to the stage. It sounds a lot better behind, towards the center of the space

  • Stay away from obvious Rock Mamas

  • Not all corporate lounges are good places to be. This one was on the right side of the concert, far away from the action. The right side stereo speaker was only used for the Lunatic's laugh...

  • Food's terrifyingly expensive and frighteningly tasteless.
    And you can't bring your own. So eat decently and drink up before you turn up

  • Standing in queues (forty minutes upwards) is not the smartest way to get in. I found that each entry counter had four rows of people. And the long queue chaps were all only entering in the first row. I just sauntered into the fourth row and got in

  • Cheer are loudly as you can. Especially if Rock Mama is listening.

  • No matter what the ticket says, carry a decent compact camera. Else you'll be shooting useless 'Free At Last' Pig shots with your cellphone. Which sucks (see above)

8 comments:

Josh said...

with my 1000 buck passes. I sat throughout the show which was better than having loud aunties and their armpits in your face.

I think the strategic placing on Bush on the pigs are was fantastic. and the pyrotechnics rocked.

Anonymous said...

Jesus Holy Christ! And all his angels too! (Like they say in NY, "JC and the boys...!")
I'd rather buy a CD and listen to Roger in my living room. With a cold beer. And some of KFC's finest.

Unknown said...

I have been a Waters fan since I was in grade 6 that is about 27 years and for all these years Waters has been my icon. Watching his concert in Mumbai made my life complete. He is not only a song writer, singer or performer, he is a philosopher a good human being who is concerned about how we can make this world a better place to live. I went with 4 other frinds all the way from Bangladesh and wow what an experience it was. Something which I will cherish through out my life. My only wish left is if someday the 4 four of them unite and we can see a real PINK FLOYD show. Arshad Amin - Bangladesh

rearset said...

Hey. I saw you. Were you among the Bangladesh crew in the first row, on the rightish-center of the stage? You guys had paper sign as well, right?

Well, I was in the same row, to the right... small world...

Anonymous said...

Get the Audio from the concert here:

Roger Waters ([RELEASED]Feb. 18th, 2007 - Concert Bootleg[RELEASED]) - Stardate: Feb 20th, 2007; 6:04 pm

http://codedigestion.wordpress.com/2007/02/20/roger-waters-releasedfeb-18th-2007-concert-bootlegreleased-stardate-feb-20th-2007-604-pm/

Anonymous said...

Hey! Fantastic review!! I had to miss it unfortunately :(

Isorski said...

I love your review, man. Classic observations! I just saw Waters in Oakland, California last night and posted a review on my Blog at http://isorski.blogspot.com/. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I was there, and I have to agree this will probably remain my top concert. Not only because it was Roger Waters, Pink Floyd etc etc but just the sheer quality of sound and the light/fireworks show they put up. Every one of the supporting "cast" - Dave Kilminster, Snowy White, Katie Kissoon, Graham (percussion) and Ian (Sax) . . (don't remember the keyboards / lap steel chap was it Jon Carin?) were awesome at their bit which brought the concert together into a rich experience. I'm glad I went, and I'm glad I had the foresight to shell out Rs 3000 even though logic screamed in my head to take one of the cheaper places further back...